First off, what makes a great bar?
Is it the bartender? Is it his personal style; the length of his bar spoon; the tint of his jigger; the number of obscure ingredients he uses in his house cocktail ingredients/bitters/tinctures; the way he makes you feel after a long hard day at work; does he/she make you smile and feel special?
Is it the ambiance in the venue? Is the lighting just right; does the music elevate or promote your mood; does it make you feel comfortable and at home; the collective design of the furniture, uniforms, artwork; does the setting allow you to be yourself; can you have fun in this place?
Is it the service? Is there something about your hosts that make you want to smile from cheek to cheek; do they greet you as if you were family; are they attentive to your every need and are you ever wanting for anything during your visit; do you feel special when in the presence of your hosts?
Is it the drink? Does it entice you to think of it’s construction, but is still simple enough for you not to be intimidated by it; is there something for everyone to drink on the menu; do the drinks not only make you relaxed, but also challenge you to want to know more about what/how/when/where it is produced?
Here are your favourite bars in SA
We’ve asked South African consumers what their favourite bar is for a drink, a laugh and a cheers and here’s what they said…(in no particular order)
- House of Machines Address: 84 Shortmarket St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 021 426 1400
- Outrage of Modesty Address: 88 Shortmarket St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 021 422 2902
- Asoka Address: 68 Kloof St, Gardens Phone: 021 422 0909
- Orphanage Cocktail Emporium 227 Bree St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 021 424 2004
- Arcade cafe Address: 152 Bree St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 060 861 0511
- Aces of Spades Address: 62 Hout St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 021 424 1620
- Mother’s Ruin Address: 219 Bree St, Cape Town CBD Phone: 082 681 6601
- Honest Chocolate – Secret Gin Bar Address: 64A Wale St, Cape Town City Centre Phone 060 606 6014
- Hanks Olde Irish Address: 110 Bree St, Cape Town City Centre Phone: 072 483 1737
- The Village Idiot Address: 32 Loop St, Cape Town CBD Phone: 021 418 1548
- Sin & Taxes Address: Rosebank
- The Landmark Address: Bryanston Shopping Centre, William Nicol Dr & Ballyclare Drive, Sandton Phone: 011 463 5081
- Social On Main Address: 1 Posthouse Street, CNR Main Road and Posthouse Street, Bryanston, Phone: Sandton 011 706 7115
- Glory Address: 10 7th St, Melville Phone 060 903 7798
- Hell’s Kitchen Address: 4 7th St Melville Phone: 079 980 9591
- Bolton Road Collection Address: 2 Bolton Road, Unit 1 Park Corner, Corner Bolton Road & Jan Smuts, Rosebank Phone: 011 327 6104
- Milk Bar Address: 21 Keyes Ave, Rosebank, Phone: 083 649 3339
- Jo’Anna Melt Bar Address: 7 7th St, Mellville Phone: 072 733 5966
- Marble Bar 19 Keyes avenue, 3rd floor Trumpet Building, Rosebank Phone 010 594 5550
- Churchills Address: Shop 52HL, Melrose Arch Piazza, Melrose Blvd Phone 011 684 1040
- Lucky Shaker Address: No 98 Mayfair On the Lake, 5 Park Lane, Parkside, Umhlanga Phone: 084 567 2565
- Dropkick Murphy’s Address: 219 Florida Rd Phone: 031 825 1858
- RepubliK Address: Shop 8 Shopping Centre Corner Broadway and Kensington, Swapo Rd Phone: 031 573 1429
- Unity Bar & Brasserie Address: Silvervause Centre, Silverton Rd Phone: 031 201 3470
- Harry’s Bar at Harvey’s Address: Shop 13, Umhlanga Centre, 189 Ridge Rd Phone: 031 561 4977
Loving local, we give a shout out to a few of the best lady bartenders in Africa. Find out who they are.